What type of candidate are you?
We are looking for a driven and enthusiastic DevOps Engineer to join one of our high-performing cross-functional delivery teams. You’ll be working within a team responsible for operating and delivering new features resulting in significant impact to our business.
You’ll therefore enjoy a highly technical role yet have close proximity to very visible value you’re adding to the organisation. You will also be part of a collaborative community of DevOps engineers both in other Delivery Teams and in supporting Platform and Delivery Engineering teams.
In both your delivery team and across the department you will be surrounded by friendly and supportive people that will help you thrive and hone your skills. We will further support you in providing very generous training to keep you at the forefront of technology.
What will you be doing?
- provision and help architect AWS environments with Terraform following Infrastructure as Code best practices
- support the team in designing and building systems that are highly available, scalable and well-monitored
- have awareness of cost implications and continuously monitor cloud spend of your team
- enable your team to deliver faster
- build and evolve CI/CD pipelines
- build self-service tooling and capabilities for both the team and broader delivery community to enable feature delivery whilst minimising dependencies on others and yourself
- continuously look for waste and opportunities for automation
- coordinate with the DevOps community to identify common problems and share solutions
- ensure DevOps standards are created and enforced
- pre-empt and feedback requirements to Platform and Delivery Engineering teams and work with them to implement new frameworks and extend existing ones to help your team deliver
- coordinate with the security community to ensure requirements and best practices are factored into the team backlog and implemented as part of stories
- ensure the stability and health of all environments owned by the team through appropriate monitoring, logging and tracing
- maintain and support the existing on-prem estate with an eye on identifying how to migrate to AWS
- provide the best tooling, capabilities and playbooks to support your teams’ production environment
- perform support duties of the production environment and be able to troubleshoot production issues
- operate as a team member of a cross-functional feature delivery team
- understand team objectives and participate in team planning activities to identify needs and opportunities to aid and accelerate team feature delivery
- be familiar with Agile delivery practices and participate in Agile ceremonies
- practice continuous improvement for both yourself and team
What skills will you have?
- basic knowledge or strong desire to gain knowledge in AWS and be familiar with the AWS Well-Architected Framework
- keen interest in making systems secure
- curiosity to explore and learn
- ability to methodically troubleshoot problems and rationalise solutions
- proficiency in effective monitoring of distributed event-driven systems
- interest in chaos engineering
What technologies are we looking for?
- Kubernetes, EKS, Rancher, Flux
- Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation
- CI/CD tooling, Jenkins, Octopus
- ELK, CloudWatch
- Prometheus, Grafana
- VMware virtualisation
- Hashicorp suite (Vault, Consul)
- Git, GitFlow, GitOps
- NGINX, Traefik
- ActiveMQ, RabbitMQ, NATS, SQS
- SQL and NoSQL/Document databases (e.g. MySQL, EventStore, MongoDB, Redis, DynamoDB, etc.)